.

Monday, November 23, 2009

True Love



True love is finishing a meal at the Outback steakhouse and your partner saying, "Good sesh!, while high five-ing you with his eyes."

Andrew and I went to the Outback last night. While waiting ten minutes too long for our whole grain aussie loaf, I noticed a pile of these coasters on our table. I wish I could say that I wasn't surprised(cause I love me the Victoria's center cut) but I was. That's right, Ruth's Chris, Metropolitan Grill, f-ing Bobby Flay eat your heart out, The Outback steak house won the vote for Best Steak. Is it the best steak? I'm not so sure. But, America is.
The lesson here? As a twenty four year old, aspiring artist and artisan meat-maker who knows little about what she's getting herself into, it is very comforting to know that someone else out there appreciates the approach places like The Outback have. See, the outback isn't trying to make you buy into it's thing. As a matter of fact, it's "thing" is so ridiculous that aside from a couple of frat bros that may leave the water hole with Australian accents, eating at the Outback, isn't an experience defined by pretense at all. You go there to eat a meal that makes you feel like you're kinda treating yourself to something. No one is going to judge you for asking for more bread. The butter knife is the steak knife. The bottom line is that it's sincere. Andrew ordered the "Alice Spring's Chicken." the plate looked a little like this picture I've drawn. Notice anything? No garnish, no superfluous sauce drippings. Just a mediocre chicken breast wrapped in bacon and cheese and a countable amount of fries. Usually, I don't like things like chips and fries to come in quantities that seem countable. In this case there were about sixteen fries, which turned out to be more than Andrew even needed.
The bottom line. America wants sincerity. They don't want to feel left out of anything or like they might not really get it. I want to remember this, I want to be reminded of it always. As someone who is making their life about creating things that call for taste and context, I always want to be sure to give a nod to the masses and know that in a world of specialty everything, sometimes it's the seemingly forgettable ordinary experience that resonates with comfort and likability. And when it comes to who they all will be routing for, never forget about the down-under dog.

No comments: